What is Spectra Green Laser?
The Spectra Green Laser is a deep penetrating laser with a 532 nm wavelength. It causes minimal to no pain and is ideal for eye and brow areas.
As shown in the diagram above, this laser penetrates deeper than Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) for the removal of sunspots. While most sunspots will respond to IPL, some are deeper within the skin and require lasers such as the Spectra Green Laser, which is more effective than IPL in most cases. It is safe to use on sensitive areas near the eye or eyelid as the 532 nm wavelength does not penetrate beyond the full thickness of the eyelid’s skin.
What do I need to know about my Spectra Green Laser treatment session?
- Spectra Green Laser is not for the whole face and can only treat 2-3 spots per session.
- Your sunspot needs to be at least a half a dime size.
- If IPL did not work for you, Spectra Green Laser may be considered.
- In many cases, you will have satisfactory results after only 2 sessions. However, some may take up to 3 or 4 sessions to see full results.
- There will scabbing of the area for 2-4 days after the treatment.
- Post-care includes applying Neosporin and sunscreen to the area 3 times a day.
- Sunlight greatly increases the formation of hyperpigmentation, so do your best to avoid sun exposure.
How can I differentiate Sunspots from Melasma and PIH (Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation)?
- Sunspots are
1. Discrete and have defined borders
2. Darker in appearance since they more superficial
3. Mostly circular in shape
4. Can occur on any part of the face
- Melasma are
1. Bigger than sunspots, borders not well defined
2. Lighter than sunspots because they are deeper
3. Mostly patchy
4. Mostly around cheek area(s) on both sides, although other parts of the face can be involved
Sunlight greatly increases the formation of any type of hyperpigmentation. In addition to avoiding sun exposure, “Suppression Therapy” – the daily use of cosmeceuticals that suppress the activation of melanocytes in sunlight – is highly effective in combating the symptoms of hyperpigmentation.
Factors that stimulate hyperpigmentation:
- #1 cause: Sun!
- Dryness and Inflammation
- Pregnancy and hormonal contraceptives
- Hormonal irregularities
- Stress hormones triggered by lack of sleep
- Inflammatory diet such as fast food
Hyperpigmentation suppression therapy topicals:
- Clarity Moisturizer (Safe for long term use)
- Brightening pads ( 0% to 10%)
- 4 in 1 Skin Lightening
- Super Hydrator with Licorice
- Post Spectra brightening gel
- Vit C Pro Collagen Brightening Serum
If you suffer from hyperpigmentation, you may want to consider implementing an anti-inflammatory detox diet, getting good sleep, going for some daily exercise, and taking antioxidants supplements. An IV infusion of Liver Detox, Anti-Aging treatments, and Skin Lightening programs are also available at our professional medspa. Learn more about IV detox here or call to book your appointment today.