Pre/Post Treatment Guideline: Nd:YAG
Posttreatment Skin Care
Precautions Before and After Laser Treatment
The area being treated cannot be exposed to the sun. For 1064-nm wavelength treatment, avoid sun exposure for 1 (one) week prior, during, and 1 (one) week after treatment. For 755-nm wavelength treatment, avoid sun exposure for at least 4 (four) weeks prior, during and at least 1 (one) week after the treatment. A broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sun block of SPF 30 or higher should be applied whenever exposed to the sun.
Expectations Following Treatment
- Immediately following treatment, the area may show a slight erythema with some swelling.
- Blistering may occur.
General Skin Care
- During the healing phase, the area must be treated delicately. Do not rub, scratch, or pick. If a crust
- develops, let it fall off on its own.
- Apply a thin layer of ointment to the treated area several times a day to keep area moist.
- Do not scrub the area; pat the area dry. Do not shave over the area if swelling, crusting or scabbing is present.
- If swelling occurs, apply ice. Wrap the ice in a soft cloth. Discomfort or stinging may be relieved with acetaminophen.
- If makeup is allowed, it must be applied and removed delicately. Excess rubbing can open treated area, increasing the chance of scarring.
- Avoid sports and/or strenuous exercises for 2 to 3 days following treatment for hair removal and 7 to 10 days for veins. Walking is encouraged.
- In case of signs of infection (pus, tenderness, fever), contact the office immediately.
- Avoid sun exposure throughout the course of treatment and use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sun block SPF 30 or greater when treatment area is exposed to the sun.
- The treated hairs will exfoliate or push out in approximately 2 to 4 weeks.
- Posttreatment skin care instructions must be followed to prevent any complications. Please contact the office with questions or concerns regarding your treatment.